What Can Roger Federer Teach Us About Success In Business – Part 1?
Roger Federer is without doubt the greatest male tennis player of all time. He has won an unprecedented 20 Grand Slam titles and has just returned to No.1 in the world at the age of 36 – another record.
How has he done it? How does he keep doing it when other players his age have already hung up their racket?
He has a motivation, persistence and desire to win which as business owners we can all learn from.
I came across these Roger Federer quotes on www.fearlessmotivation.com
They give us a clue to his success and so thought I would share them. This week is part one, with part two next week.
We may never be great tennis players, but some of the lessons will certainly help motivate us to be great business owners.
- “There is no way around hard work. Embrace it. You have to put in the hours because there’s always something which you can improve”
Lesson: What one thing do you want in your life? Have you taken any action to achieve it? Everyone wants success, but only a few work for it. And they’re the ones who realise their dreams.
- “When you do something in life you love, you don’t really want to give that up – and for me it’s tennis”
Lesson: Do what you love and dedicate your life to it. Stop worrying about how you will achieve it or how you will make a living out of it. You can figure that out later. Do what you love – the rest will come.
- “I’m a very positive thinker, and I think that is what helps me the most in difficult moments”
Lesson: What you think, you attract in your life. Be aware of your thoughts. Don’t worry about what others may say about you. What you think about yourself and your business is crucial to your success.
- “What I think I’ve been able to do well over the years is play with pain, play with problems, play in all sorts of conditions”
Lesson: Your success and opportunities will come from your intentions. The circumstances may seem hard, but the real game lies in your mind. When circumstances seem tough, use your mind to stay positive.
- “I always believe if you’re stuck in a hole and maybe things aren’t going well you will come out stronger. Everything in life is this way”
Lesson: If you feel stuck due to external forces, understand it’s how you will grow. You need to believe in yourself and your dreams in order to survive the hard times.
- “It is always in my mind that I can crush anybody. That’s not an issue. But I think that is the same for most athletes. If you don’t believe you can win tournaments anymore, then you can’t do it”
Lesson: The vision you have in your mind will materialise into reality. See yourself conquering your fears and you will. See yourself winning in business and you will. Your mind is the most powerful tool you have – use it to your advantage.
Elite sportsmen and sportswomen were not successful by accident and Roger Federer is no exception.
There is a lot we can learn from someone like Federer that we can translate into how we run our businesses.
Part 2 next week.